Monday, September 29, 2008

Today was just another day...

Dinnertime typically is one of my least favorite parts of the day as it usually entails alot of *one more bite* *chew with your mouth CLOSED* *wipe your mouth* and the typical glass of milk being sponged up off the floor and the walls as it got catapulted 6 feet off the table by a spastic elbow.

Well, you all know my favorite little eater (Ian). He came home from school today looking pale and wan. Zack was convinced he was getting sick, but after an interrogative investigation we find that he looks so weak because he hasn't consumed anything since 7:30 this morning. Yes, that is correct - all day with no drink of water or food substance (I'm exaggerating, he did have a handful of goldfish and a sip of water at the drinking fountain....but STILL). And yes, I did send him to school with a lunch which, by the way, I don't really enjoy making at 7:00 in the morning only to learn that it gets tossed in the garbage can before the first bell rings.

Typically, I make dinner a little easier to handle for him. If it's stir fry, I'll pick around so he doesn't get an entire plate of vegetables. I've caught myself digging around a pot of stew to make sure his is primarily meat. I do all this to spare myself the vision of him at the dinner table gagging and grimacing.

Well, tonights dinner was a complete vegetable soup. My idea was to give them a grilled cheese sandwich with a small bowl of soup...but noooo, not tonight. Tonight he gets a full heaping bowl of soup with much chopped kale (which by the way, I caught Zack scooping out before serving him...he is a softie sometimes). So this is FULL ON vegetable soup with onions, carrots, celery, fennel, mushrooms, lentils, parsley, kale & green onions. It was gonna be a gagger.

He KNEW he better just sit tight and eat quietly. He ate several bites, then told me how much he loved the chicken. "the chicken is so good in the soup mom" Zack and I looked at each other like, "whaat" (there was NO chicken in the soup) but just let the comment pass. Ten or 12 more bites later, Ian stared at his spoon and said "wait, is that chicken really a mushroom?"

We laughed and laughed and laughed.

And then the gagging resumed.

By the way he turned 7 on Sunday, here's a pic of him in his Mexican outfit he wore for his fashion show and dance at school.


Photobucket

No comments: